Monday, July 03, 2006

Heat Wave

It's hot over here in England. ~30° on the weekend, highs dropping to 24 later this week.
It's also quite humid here. Nobody has air-conditioning except the shops, which all close at around 5:30PM.

All this would have been fine, I suppose, except that I came more prepared for cold & wet weather. Mostly I brought the same stuff I wear at home, so it's not as bad as it could have been. I can't understand how so many of the lecturers can wear jackets while talking for an hour... I would shrivel and die in a puff of steam!


Classes are getting into full swing now; the seminar format of this programme (while not as extreme as the tutorial format used in a normal Oxford programme) is quite interesting: all grading is based on the professor's assessment of written work and presentations made to the class. This means that the lectures we're attending are strictly informational, and in many cases superfluous. Strangely, this fact makes the lectures somewhat more compelling and useful; I feel encouraged to take what I need and do what I like with the information, applying it to my area of expertise.

Tomorrow evening is the 4th of July "open mic night" for our group; I'll try to come up with something suitably Canadian. (I've already had a few requests for our anthem...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Yea, even for a Brit it's hot. You were rigfht to have brought warm clothing (wait until August lol). If you need summer light weights - try Matalan - most of it is made in China but it's cheap. Oxford is a nice plave aparently - I almost went there once for a look around. One of these days lol.

5:08 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

They really should have a spell checker on this

5:08 pm  
Blogger techne said...

so wha'd ya do?

happy (belated) canada day, eh?

4:42 pm  
Blogger Jack said...

Hello all, I'm sorry I've been taking so long to respond to these comments.

For the talent show, I read the Cremation of Sam McGee (it's Canadian content!) and a poem of my own. I also participated in a skit and sang "He is an Englishman" from H.M.S. Pinafore.

Dave, welcome to my blog!

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View Stats